CGIAR’s Information and Data Management Community of Practice has been a global resource to help effect best practices in data management. One of the challenges we face relates to managing qualitative data (audio, images, videos as well as surveys containing sensitive and personally identifiable data) with regard for openness and FAIRness. There are also questions on how to capture, store and share such data responsibly.
In that context, we invited researchers managing qualitative data to hear from their experience and to open the discussion on this topic at the CGIAR level.
00:00:57 – Introduction by Olatunbosun Obileye
00:02:35 – The perspective of the data collector by Gundula Fisher
00:10:26 – Stories from the help desk by Florio Arguillas
00:18:06 – The perspective of the data manager by Nilam Prasai and Indira Yerramareddy
00:29:15 – Panel discussion
– 00:29:15 – What about country-specific or regional regulations we need to negotiate?
– 00:31:05 – What could be the implications of the EU General Data Protection Regulation for CGIAR especially in terms of qualitative data sharing?
– 00:33:15 – How can we increase data security for qualitative data?
– 00:39:00 – Have CGIAR data managers engaged with qualitative researchers on a direct and continuous basis (for instance by building committees or working groups) and if yes, what are their experiences?
– 00:51:15 – Qualitative data reuse concern: According to Walters (2009), data will lose value without the knowledge and expertise of the researchers who designed and implemented the original research project, and prepared, and analyzed it. How can we address this concern in CGIAR?
00:54:45 – Q&A
– 00:54:50 – How can the authenticity of qualitative data be preserved especially when transcription and/or translation is involved? – Olayemi Oluwasoga – IITA
– 00:57:08 – Should CGIAR invest in a secure IT platform for research on sensitive data? Researchers should then sign a data agreement and get some ethics clearance of some sort when wanting to reuse the data? – Marie-Angélique Laporte – Alliance Bioversity International-CIAT
– 1:11:25 – Data protection laws often require data to be used for a specific purpose than to be deleted when this purpose has been met. CGIAR has been rather lax in terms of ethical review and data protection in the past. So, we have historical datasets where we did not specifically ask for permission to retain data for other use, so we need to delete these data to be in line with EU GDPR rules? i.e. we have historical issues with informed consent – Peter Steward – ICRAF
– 1:15:48 – Would it be possible for CGIAR to have an infrastructure where researchers spread across the globe put their data centrally in a secure way? – Olatunbosun Obileye – IITA
– Olatunbosun Obileye is the Institutional Data Manager at IITA. He leads the team responsible for data management plans, preservation, curation and governance, open access/open data, and research data repository management. He serves as the Big Data Platform focal point for IITA and he is a member of IITA’s Digital Delivery Working Group.
– Gundula Fisher is a social scientist and gender expert at IITA, she is a member of the IRB, and has long-term experience in collecting and analyzing qualitative data.
– Florio Arguillas is a Research Associate at the Cornell Center for the Social Sciences. He trains researchers on the use of qualitative data analysis software packages and serves as consultant and lecturer on qualitative research methods, design, collection, management, tools, and analysis.
– Nilam Prasai is a senior data curator in IFPRI’s Communications and Public Affairs Division. She provides support for research data management and publishing data at IFPRI. She is also involved in setting up policies, protocols, and procedures for research data governance.
– Indira Yerramareddy is Manager of Knowledge Management and Web in IFPRI’s Communications and Public Affairs Division. She has been with IFPRI since 2001 and has over 19 years of experience in strategic communications, knowledge management, and web technologies. She has taken leadership in developing institutional policies. She has also taken a lead to form the Data Governance Management Committee to improve the Research Data Management (RDM) at IFPRI.
Rank in TOP of the Google Search Results
Web Page Optimization to Rank top in Google Search Results. Tips to Develop a well optimized page to rank Top in Google Search Results Page.
NB-IoT and LTE-M Will Be the Backbone Communication Network for IoT in UAE
Today, LPWAN has cellular (licensed band) and non-cellular (unlicensed) technologies. Under the cellular category we have NB-IoT and LTE-M and in unlicensed, the popular categories are LoRa (Long Range) and SigFox (IoT Technology company and it uses the SigFox protocol). LoRa and SigFox need communication gateway which aggregate IoT sensor data to the IoT platform through their own private networks. NB-IoT and LTE-M don’t need communication gateways and hence it is cost effective.
Philosophy, Machines, and AI
Is philosophy undergoing a radical transformation? In recent times, this question has been very popular especially after the radical development that has been taking place in machine learning and artificial intelligence. Whether this radical development and application of such knowledge in machine learning and artificial intelligence is setting off a radical transformation of traditional philosophy?
Make Your Business More Accessible to Customers With Mobile Applications
Due to stiff competition in the world of Smartphones, it is important to introduce the innovative and the updated applications that can create a huge demand for the mobile device in the market. Every organization is taking the initiative of introducing the high-end apps so that they can turn out to be beneficial to users and create an impact in the market. Among all the Smartphones, it is found that the iPhone is ruling the present world.
The Truth About Online Tracking System
Internet users have known for a while that their favorite websites, as well as social media networks, are collecting their data. Although a well-known fact for years, it still isn’t completely clear who is tracking us online? What does third party tracking mean? Which data is exactly collected? And where is that uploaded photo being stored? Third Party Advertising is the modern business model. It sprang to action with the development of technology. The once hard work of physically monitoring markets and sales has been “teleported” to the virtual world of scripts and codes. The digital world and expansion of worldwide borders through social media networks has opened the gates of potential for the businesses. At the same time, the profit-hunting has brought a swarm of crawler bots to tear down the walls of user’s privacy.
Smart Fitness Market Outlook, Sales Revenue, Strategy to 2026
Smart fitness equipment are used for physical exercises that help in managing overall weight, improve physical stamina, and develop muscular strength. These devices are used to track information including sleep, steps, calories, heart rate, and other physical status, which further help in improving the overall fitness of the human body. Rising awareness among people related to health and fitness is one of the major driving factors for growth of the global smart fitness market.
5 Reasons to Install an Automated Optical Inspection
In the production process, the importance of electronic board inspection can’t be denied. In fact, it’s the final step in the inspection process before the products are offered to the customers. Fortunately, we have automated optical inspection machines these days.
How to Find an Affordable Web Hosting Devoid of Taking Any Risk
The accurate way to find an affordable web hosting is the commonest problem among all people in these days. If you are in search of such specific solution then you need to follow a number of suggestions. It is a fact when people search for an inexpensive web service then he or she may become confused.
The Advantages Of Using A Printed Circuit Board (PCB)
PCB is short for a printed circuit board, which is an important part of today’s electronic company equipment. Basically, a PCB comprises tons of active and passive components. And these parts are connected with traces on the circuit board.
Introduction to Kotlin: A Powerful Programming Language
Kotlin is a statically typed, cross-platform, general-purpose coding language that features type inference. It can interoperate with JVM and Java based on the Java Class Library. However, the type inference also features a concise syntax.
What Users Need To Know About Data Security In Tally?
Tally gives proper insight into business problems and helps management to make better decisions. Data security in Tally is necessary to keep the privacy of business.
What Are Vision Inspection Systems?
Also known as machine vision systems, vision inspections systems allow you to do image-based inspection for your manufacturing or industrial applications. Basically, these are automated systems. Although the technology has been around for a while, both 2D and 3D systems are quite popular for automated inspections, sorting, quality control and robot guidance, just to name a few.
5 Common Rapid Prototyping Mistakes
When it comes to rapid prototyping, it’s important to avoid some common mistakes in the process. This will help you get the most out of your efforts. Read on to know more.
Tips to Consider When Choosing a Server Cabinet
If you are going to design a data center, the first most important thing is to opt for the right cabinet for the server racks. However, this selection is not as simple as you may think. The idea is to get the most out of the available space for highest efficiency.
4 Tips to Consider When Buying the Best Laptops for Online College Classes
If you are an online college student, you may have a bit of disposal income. Therefore, you can’t get a high-end laptop. So, what you need to do is buy a laptop based on your budget and still meet your needs.